Earlier this week, Billy Rausch took to Twitter to shame and publicly attack John Smith, a volunteer and P.I. who has worked closely with Maura’s father, Fred, ever since Maura disappeared. It’s been relentless. And behind the scenes, he continues to taunt Smith through DMs like this one:
Last night, Billy’s friend posted this email on Twitter in a further attempt to dox John Smith:
It is an email sent by Billy’s mother, Sharon, to the Murray family spokesperson, Helena Murray, prior to her death. It is in response to Sharon discovering that John Smith had obtained a copy of Billy and Maura’s cell phone records. Smith says he got the records from Helena.
In the email, Sharon threatens to sue everyone involved, stating, “I will seek legal action against any person, persons, or group that in anyway violates the privacy of Billy or any member of our family.” She goes on to say, “Be assured that if such time comes that Billy is contacted or I learn that his phone information has been shared, I will not only share the name but also the private messages that were shared between the two of us… that is, right after I make an appointment with the law firm with which I was employed for 17 years. I am sure our attorneys will address this issue, not only from a legal standpoint, but also from a personal one. It takes a lot to make me angry and this situation has done the trick. I am extremely angry resulting in me taking protective measures for Billy even if he doesn’t need them.”
She ends the message: “You make the call :-)”
Those phone records eventually made their way onto the Internet anyway and were accessed by the documentary crew and other private investigators. They’re currently accessible through a subReddit that Billy’s friend is involved with. The records revealed some interesting tidbits, such as:
- Billy calling Maura’s friend, Kate Markopoulos’ dorm room and personal cell phone, in an apparent attempt to locate Maura the day of her disappearance.
- Billy on a lengthy call with a former West Point professor at the moment of Maura’s accident in New Hampshire.
- Maura’s call to the Sallamones, looking for a hotel/condo with two bedrooms.
- Maura’s call to a woman who investigated child abuse for the state of Massachusetts.
- A strange gap of phone calls by Billy the weekend after Maura’s disappearance.
- A call from Billy to a close friend after his last conversation with Maura, the day before her disappearance. This same friend is referenced extensively in the testimony of Billy’s girlfriend, during hearings regarding her protection order against him last year.
Over the years Sharon has spoken on behalf of her son and has traveled to DC to support him during hearings for his upcoming sex abuse trial. While his girlfriend was filling out a protection order with police (claiming that Billy had choked her and called her “Maura”), someone using Sharon’s Facebook account began to “like” all her photos. The victim doesn’t know if it was Sharon, herself, or Billy using his mother’s account, but she believes whoever it was, was trying to intimidate her into keeping quiet – it was a tactic Billy used when she’d stop talking to him for a while, a way of saying he was still paying attention to her.